Former users and employees of an Edwardian swimming baths and steamie share their stories: a community finds its voice
Please press the ‘Play’ button below to listen to the Audio Clip:
Audio installation in council closed swimming baths, for Govanhill Baths Community Trust, Glasgow.
Invited stories in english and punjabi from former pool users and employees for temporary audio installation in the original Edwardian changing cubicles lining the pool. These stories were translated into punjabi and slovak, for Govanhill’s diverse cultural community. The installation was supported by the Govanhill Baths Art and Regeneration Team’s exhibition, Deep Breaths and was funded by Glasgow Life.
On the 3rd of July 1914 the Lord Provost of Glasgow, Sir Daniel Macaulay Stevenson, opened the Govanhill pool in Calder Street, Glasgow.
In 2001, Glasgow City Council closed the baths and washhouse.
- See more about the campaign to reopen the Govanhill Baths: www.govanhillbaths.com